Friday 11 April 2008

Inconsistency

Why do things change?

There was a time that on a Friday night I would automatically know that I would be out later. I cannot remember one in the last 3 years or so that I have been at home and have not been. The group is beginning to break apart. One person has decided to stay in Scotland for the holidays and another came back only for a week. So I am now wondering if this is the point where the life before London finishes disappearing.

I am also about to move house again, for the 5th time in less 18 months. Yet more change.

But then again, maybe it is a good thing. I always remember things before being better than things now, but were they? I only remember the good things of the past, yet I remember the good and the bad things of the present. Perhaps it is just inevitable that the small group of close friends I had then will be replaced by the small group I have now. And then they in turn are replaced when I leave Imperial? Moving house and changing groups of friends often seems like a good way not to get attached to anything for too long, which I suppose is a sensible strategy even if it is mostly unintentional.



I also discovered today my old chat logs for MSN, I had a program to record all the conversations I had for future reference. I spent a large amount of time today reading a lot of old conversations, and mostly thinking what an idiot I was. I will give no examples because the conversations I read were quite personal, but I am sure all of you have heard me say something incredibly stupid that if I were to remember it I would regret saying it. The only difference between then and now is that I was sober then. So perhaps I am learning.

Which makes me wonder if there will ever be a point in my life where I will look back to 6 months or a year previously and not think 'Jesus Christ I was retarded then.' I am already starting to do this with my first year in London.



Tech part - I have no idea what the difference between Atom and RSS is, I simply ticked the box telling google to put a link for a feed on the page. However I was warned before doing so that it is still a beta feature of the site, so may break.



Also you should watch this:

It is part of a Newsnight I watched a while ago. The first part was about 'Brain Gym' which is being taught in schools, which tells us that if you press parts of your body it makes blood flow to different parts of the brain, allowing us to learn different things better.






Now I have never liked biology and avoided it as much as possible after GCSE, I even dropped chemistry post AS, after learning there was a biology module. But even I know that it is bollocks.

Unfortunately this does not come close to the stupidity in Andy's post about the universe fitting into a small space so there is no mass only energy, and using that and some random string theory in your ears thrown in along with Stephen Hawking being on a mission from God it is possible to revert people back into previous energy states, hence curing disease with water while presumably charging lots of money.

After watching you really need to wash yourself with some Feynman.

1 comment:

aiusepsi said...

Just got to roll with the changes, I guess.

I'm glad my old MSN chat logs are pretty much lost, I wouldn't want to read them again, it'd be really painful.

Tech stuff - RSS and Atom are both XML feed formats, except that Atom was done properly, and RSS wasn't.

For example, XML has a concept of namespaces, and you use elements belonging to a particular defined namespace to represent a particular kind of data, according to a predefined format that can all be checked and validated.

You can't do this with RSS, because it was all done wrong. Now Atom's around, RSS should die a horrible death, just like HTML will die a horrible death in favour of XHTML.

And yeh, that Brain Gym is hella retarded.