Monday 8 September 2008

LHC 2

I have heard that some people believe that when the LHC is first used it will create miniature black holes that will devour the earth. Now I have thought about this, from a physics point of view, for a good 1o minutes and have decided that it is not going to happen and they are being daft.

I have also decided that from a quantum mechanical point of view there is no reason that the scenario set out in the 'Lynx 3' advert could not happen in reality - two colliding wave functions constructively interfering - and that 'Lynx 3' some how magically increases the probability of such an event occurring, and so I shall continue to buy it just in case.

3 comments:

aiusepsi said...

I think it'd be fun if any micro black holes were created and didn't evaporate.

They'd only be able to interact gravitationally, and they'd have the mass of a handful of subatomic particles, so they'd hardly ever accrue mass.

It'd be such a slow and spectacular apocalypse.

Josh said...

I wonder if they would try to keep it quiet for a while, and we would wake up every morning slightly closer to central Europe.

I seriously cannot think of any reason why a black hole would be created. Sure they collide with a lot of energy, but so do galaxies and they don't create black holes every time they do, or at least I am not aware of it if they do.

Josh said...

I also look forward to http://xkcd.com/401/

and would very much like the 5TeV candy to be true.